Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Taqueria Vallarta


Taqueria Vallarta - Lunch Special

On my continuing quest for cheap lunches in Austin, I tried this joint called Taqueria Vallarta. I believe this is a chain of restaurants in Austin and other cities, but the location I visited is hidden away in an ugly South Austin strip mall at the corner of William Canon and South Congress. The interior is almost as tacky as the outside (see photo). The atmosphere definitely says "cheap food" and that's more or less what you get. Although, in my opinion, this kind of joint may be cheap but it is not what I consider a "good value." I ordered the $5.00 lunch special number thirty nine: carne guisada and cheese enchilada with rice and beans. It was what one would expect; not particulary bad but not particularly good. Uninspired. Most of the customers looked like hard-working people, and it always surprises me when I see people that work hard for their money spending it on stuff that really isn't a good value. Many of the combination plates were priced at $7, $8 and even $9. For that kind of money, I'd rather drive a few blocks out of the way, to a place that has interesting flavors, healthier ingredients and more generous portions. So I'm glad I visited Taqueria Vallarta for myself, but I don't think I'd ever have reason to go back again.

Taqueria Vallarta
6628 S Congress Ave.
northwest corner of S. Congress and William Canon
(512) 462-2515

No comments: