Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Nueva Onda


Nueva Onda Tacos Al Pastor

I recently tried Nueva Onda for lunch. This is another tex-mex joint I've passed so many times but only recently tried. On this particular day, I went for lunch at about 12:45PM. The place was mostly empty, so there was zero wait to order. The wait for my food, however, was about 10 minutes, which seemed odd given the lack of any other customers. I ordered two Al Pastor tacos, a favorite dish of mine.

When they finally were ready, they had a nice visual appeal: generous chunks of pork in a bright red Al Pastor sauce, with big chunks of pineapple and fresh cilantro mixed in. Looked great. But I met disappointment with the first bite. The meat was dry, a bit stringy. Just not very appetizing. Both tacos were this way. It was really disappointing. The price was about what you'd expect for a cheap taco joint, about six bucks for two tacos and a glass of water. I will probably give Neuva Onda a second try, but I'll try something other than the Al Pastor taco.

Nueva Onda
2218 College Ave
near intersection of S. Congress and Oltorff
Austin, TX 78704
(512) 447-506

No comments: